Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Starting at the top

Eric and I have been playing together for 21 years. Like, our earliest songs, if they had birth certificates and IDs, would be able to drink alcohol. Legally.
If they did ever drink, we'd hope that they did so responsibly. The reckless youth have a tendency to overdo it, and that is the category that many of those songs fall into.
One of the very first songs we wrote (which isn't on the Box Set) was "My Friend Maurice". I haven't heard the original recording of that in forever, but it was so fucking blasted it hurts a bit just imagining it. The version on our major label effort "IX" sounds like THX in comparison.
Another song from that period that I freaking wish would be unearthed was called "Honey Bee".
Here are the lyrics (to the tune of "Anarchy in the UK"; written in 1988-89)):

Honey Bee

We're getting brilliant and we know it and we want to be brilliant forever
We're getting brilliant and we know it and we want to be brilliant forever

Be brilliant with me

I want to swim across the Red Sea
I want to kiss a honey bee
I want to swim across your ocean
I want to drink your love potion
I want to go on vacation
Wiiiiiiiiith
You.
Go on vacation with you

One day I was sunbathing
On a spring off the Mississippi
When I said to myself
This is bad for my health
So I went inside and put some vitamin E
Right on my skin
And then I went out for a swim

Now I'm elated, joyous, so pleased
I'm down on my precious knees
Beggin you to do all the things that I want you to do

I want a kiss a honey bee
I want to meet Mickey Mouse
I want to live in a brick house
I want to have an beautiful spouse

Someone like you

No comments:

Post a Comment